Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Happy New Year!!!

Happy 2009 everyone!!! Well we kicked off the New Year in our old and boring way :) We put the kids to bed around 8:00 and then we watched a movie and drank hot chocolate until midnight, said "Happy New Year!" and then we went to bed. We started a new tradition for our family this year. Every other week one of the kids gets to go on a date with mommy or daddy. I think it is important to spend one on one time with each child and parent so that we can build a strong relationship with our children. I want them to be able to always talk to us and tell us what is going on in their lives (even when they are teenagers) I feel that in this day in age kids don't communicate with their parents and it seems that parents are too busy to listen so we are setting time aside to be with our children.

On Saturday it was David's turn to go out with his daddy. They went and got their haircut and then they went to IHOP for lunch. David came home and all he could talk about was he got his haircut with daddy and he ate pancakes with strawberries and cream and he had ice cream too. I'm so glad that it turned out so well. Next week is Jaylin and my turn to go out. I'm so excited for this new tradition.

Happy New Year!!!

3 comments:

Helen said...

How fun!

Unknown said...

That's a great idea. I speak from experience - it works! Lyndy and I do "dates" weekly and she has been very forthcoming with issues in school, etc. Good for you guys!

AnGeL said...

Hey Ashley i think thats a great idea i think you gave me something new to try.. since im still trying to get things undercontrol since i had Hailey its still pretty hard for me. :(